Yesterday I read a blog post by Patrick Larkin of this same title. In it, he writes that he is trying to focus on blogging more and that even though he dislikes “chain letter” type posts, he was going to engage in this one, in hopes that it would kick start more blog posts in the near future. I connected to that because I too want to blog more AND I too hate chain letters. I do however, have a lot of thoughts about who I am and what I believe to be true and the fact that both of those things are constantly evolving.
Patrick linked 10 more people who he challenged to complete this “homework” assignment and even though I wasn’t one of those people…his 11th person was “anyone who wants to play along”. And so…I am going to do just that! I have to post 11 things about myself and then answer Patrick’s 11 questions. Here it goes:
11 Things About Me
1. I am proudly Canadian. I have a Canadian flag tattoo on my thigh. I love Canada.
2. I went to Jamestown College in Jamestown, North Dakota on a fastpitch softball scholarship. Even though winters can be brutal here in northern Alberta, they will not compare to the winters I experienced in N.D. I didn’t realize how much I loved Canada until I went to school in another country.
3. I am addicted to books. I can’t stop buying them. I have stacks and stacks of them. If I walk into a book store (or book fair at school) I WILL be walking out with something. If I had all the $$ I have spent on books in the last year, I could go on a nice little holiday. Obviously, books are more valuable to me than holidays.
4. One of my strengths as a teacher is in my ability to build relationships with students. I don’t think anyone ever taught me that. If they know you care about them, they will care about you. If you care about each other, you will work hard for each other.
5. One of my weaknesses as a teacher is that I struggle to stay organized. I go through periods where I work really hard at it and it gets better and then I can’t keep it up and it slips again. I can always relate to the kid with the messy binder, locker, desk, bag etc.
6. I cry when I’m emotional. That means mad, sad, glad, proud, uncomfortable…all of it. I can’t seem to have a serious conversation with someone without crying. I wish I could have more control over that.
7. My husband has taught me a lot of important lessons but these are the most important: 1. Surround yourself with good people 2. Deal with what you can control 3. Keep going
8. My idea of a good night out is a night of Karaoke. I know the words to A LOT of songs. I especially like to rap or sing songs that are fast. Singing makes me smile.
9. My earliest memory is of my dad saving a child from drowning when I was about 2 1/2 years old. That’s a pretty cool memory to have.
10. My sister is three years younger than me and about 9 inches taller than me. How does that happen? YES…I am still slightly bitter about it.
11. Forrest Gump is my favourite movie of all time. I always cry at the end even though I’ve seen it a ton of times and know it word for word. The Shawshank Redemption and A League of Their Own are my next favourite movies.
My Responses to Patrick’s Questions
1. Have you ever been to Massachusetts? Nope, I have never been to Massachusetts. I’d like to go, though.
2. What is your favourite sports team (college or pro)? My favourite sports team is the Edmonton Oilers NHL team. It has been a difficult 6 or 7 years to be an Oilers fan, but I’m still loyal.
3. Name a blogger you would recommend to others. One of the blogs I read the most is the Single Dad Laughing blog by Dan Pearce. He’s real. I like real.
4. When you were little what did you dream of becoming? When I was little I dreamed of becoming a rock star. I really did. I like being on stage. However, I knew by the time I was 13 that I wanted to be a PE teacher.
5. How far away do you live from where you grew up? I live in Spruce Grove, Alberta and I grew up in Trail, British Columbia. They are about 950km apart. My mom and dad still live in the house they built the year I was born. I would like to be closer to them, but don’t know if that will ever work out
6. What is your favourite meal? My favourite meal is Pizza. Hawaiian.
7. If you were offered a free trip anywhere in the world, where would you go? If I were offered a free trip to anywhere in the world, I would likely go to Italy. My dad’s family is from there and I teach Renaissance history. I think it would help me if I went there.
8. Do you prefer Macs or PCs? I prefer PCs to Macs solely because I have never owned a Mac and I don’t know what I don’t know.
9. Other than the birth of your children or your marriage/meeting your soulmate, what was the best day of your life? The best day of my life is any day I get to spend with my husband and 2 boys. I know that sounds cliche, but it is true. Our family has been lucky enough to have lived a pretty steady life so far. Not too many highs, not too many lows. A great day is one we spend together making memories.
10. What is the best movie you have seen in the last year? The best movie I’ve seen this year is Hunger Games – Catching Fire. I haven’t seen too many movies but I really really want to see The Book Thief over the Christmas break. That book is one of my top 5 all-time favourites.
11. What was the last live concert you attended? Last live concert was Maroon 5 and Train. Pretty good show. I have tickets to Justin Timberlake in January – I can’t wait.
11 Bloggers to answer my questions
1. Jesse McLean
2. Dan Pearce
3. Dave Oldham
4. Allison Evelyn
5. Tracey Trousdell
6. Miranda Niebergall
7. Travis McNaughton
8. Alan Stein
9. Jen Foster
10. Blye Seehagel
11. Anyone who wants to do this too! Follow the guidelines below!
Here Are My Questions For You
1. Have you ever been to Trail, British Columbia?
2. What is your favourite book?
3. What is the best advice anyone has ever given you?
4. What are you most grateful for?
5. If you could travel anywhere in the world tomorrow, where would you go?
6. If you were going to Karaoke tonight what song(s) would you sing?
7. Batman or Spiderman?
8. What is your earliest memory?
9. When was the last time you cried?
10. How much time to you spend on the internet per day on average?
11. What is your favourite sport to watch or play?
The Guidelines for your Homework
1. Acknowledge the nominating blogger
2. Share 11 random facts about yourself
3. Answer the 11 questions the nominating blogger made for you
4. List 11 bloggers
5. Post 11 questions for the bloggers you have nominated and let them know. Don’t nominate someone who nominated you.
6. Post back here, in the comment section with a link to your finished assignment.
Get going now…you’ve got homework to do